Most people are familiar with the traditional rice ball.
I love them.
I love the Sicilian ones too (shhh! Nanny wouldn’t be happy about that! lol) but this is something much more simple than that.
This is a great way to use up leftover rice, they can be a great appetizer maybe even served with a dipping sauce of your choice or you could have them the way Nanny intended…as they are.
I don’t remember that there was ever a actual reason or occasion that she made these. She made them, we ate them, end of story.
Makes approx 15 croquettes
- 1 cup of Carolina rice, prepared according to box and rinsed (makes 3 cups cooked)***
- 1 egg, beaten
- About 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 3/4 cup – 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- Fresh or dried chopped parsley, optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Canola oil, for frying
***NOTE – Rice must be very cold and dry. Cook rice the day before and refrigerate for best results.