Lemon Impossible Pie is what we have today for you to enjoy!
It’s an incredibly easy recipe and the combination of lemon and coconut is a pure delight!
For those who have never tried an Impossible Pie before, you simply must! In a nutshell,
it’s an egg custard type mixture with a few additions.
When it bakes, it forms its own bottom crust (which has the texture of pastry) and also forms a crisp top crust.
During baking, the coconut rises to the surface and that is what forms the crisp top layer.
For this recipe, I’ve added a burst of lemon in there, hence the name, Lemon Impossible Pie.
It is not so overwhelming that it will make you screw your eyes up from the sharpness.
More of a gentle lemon flavour to marry up nicely with the coconut and take away some of the sweetness of the pie.
So all in all, it is a nice gentle balance of flavours.
Once you’ve baked this Lemon Impossible Pie, it is a good idea to have it chill overnight so it has time to set ready for slicing and also the flavours come together better.
If you try to slice this when it is still hot, you will end up with messy spoonfuls of pie, so make sure you do let it set!
I hope you enjoy this as much as we do. It would make a perfect choice for a party or pot lucks, Thanksgiving and holidays. Please enjoy!
All the ingredients are mixed together and poured into a pie tin, but when it cooks it forms its own crust with filling!!
This has a coconut vanilla taste like a coconut cream pie.
IMPOSSIBLE PIE RECIPE
- 2 cups or 470 ml milk
- 1 cup or 110 g Flaked coconut
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup or 60 g flour
- 8 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup or 150 g sugar
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl using a spoon or hand whisk.
2. Pour into a greased and floured pie plate (about 8 – 9 inches size) and bake 350 F or 180 C or Gas 4 oven for 45 minutes. I place my pie in a baking tray in case of spills.
3. When done, the pie will be slightly wobbly in the center. Remove from the oven and allow to cool, then refrigerate overnight if possible.
Serve on its own or with a blob of vanilla ice cream!