A traditional Italian fingerfood is the “panzerotto”, that here we present to you in its baked version with the classic filling of mozzarella and tomato, an idea for your “Italian style” brunch.
- 1 glasswarm water
- 1 cube of yeast
- salt to taste
- a pinch of sugar
- 17.6 oz manitoba flour
- 4 mozzarella
- 1 cup tomatoes puree
- extra virgin olive oil to taste
Panzerotti: baked or fried?
Panzerotti are a sandwich-sized version of the most renowned calzone, and usually they are fried.
If you don’t want to renounce the the fantastic taste of the panzerotto but prefer a lighter version,try this baked panzerotti recipe: you’ll love it!
Basically, it is a sort of small stuffed pizza, originated from the idea of using the pizza dough in excess, creating delicious snacks filled with cheese and tomato.
HOW TO MAKE THE PANZEROTTI DOUGH
- Dissolve yeast in ½ glass of warm water, add sugar and mix.
- Place the flour on the pastry board and make a well in the center of the flour, now pour the dissolved yeast, salt and begin to knead, adding warm water slowly until you get a firm smoothy dough.
- If the dough is too hard just add some warm water.
- Place the dough into a bowl, mark an X on its top with a knife, and wrap the bowl into a warm fleece.
- Let the dough rise for 1 hour, or until you can see the X cut on the dough has grown enough.
- Now you can divide the dough into 10 balls. Let them rise for more 40 minutes.
- Cut the mozzarella into small pieces, add to the tomato puree and salt.
- Roll out the dough balls with a rolling pin so as to make some discs.
- Place tomato and mozzarella in the middle of each disc and close, using a fork to press the edges. It’s very important to be careful not to pour the tomato on the edges of panzerotto, otherwise you wont’ be able to seal them properly.
- Don’t use all the tomato and set aside 2-3 spoons of it.
- Place the Panzerotti on a baking sheet lined with parchmen tpaper.
- Sprinkle the surface with a little oil and a spoon of tomato puree.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 ° C for 15 minutes.
With this recipe you can create 10 baked panzerotti: try other ingredients to find your favorite combination!