Italian Cream Horns are scrumptious puff pastries wrapped around a metal horn and baked till golden and flaky.
These little five ingredient wonders can be filled with whipped cream, custard or buttercream icing.
Freeze 30 minutes
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup divided Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease 8 cream horn metal cones or metal cannoli forms. Use a knife or rolling cutter to cut puff pastry into 1/2 inch wide strips. Wind pastry around cone, starting at one end and overlap layers, covering form in a spiral. Cover and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Just before baking, combine egg with about a teaspoon of water to create an egg wash. Brush puff pastry with egg wash. Sprinkle roughly 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar onto pastry, top and bottom, then place each seam side down on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown, remove from oven and allow to cool on metal forms.
- While pastry is cooling, prepare filling. Whip heavy cream until soft peaks, then add in remaining confectioner’s sugar and vanilla. Whip until stiff.
- Fill piping bag with cream; pipe into cooled pastry. Keep refrigerated.
Source Imperial Sugar