These homemade lemon curd thumbprint cookies are pure perfection!
A combination of sweet buttery cookies and citrusy topping with a hint of almonds!
LEMON CURD EASY THUMBPRINT COOKIE RECIPE TIPS:
- Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Wrap the dough tightly and chill for an hour before baking.
- Use a small cookie scoop for even dough portions.
- Use a chapstick tube (or other round object like a 1/2 teaspoon measure or cork wine stopper) to make even indentations in your dough balls before baking.
- Use the tube again after they come out of the oven to deepen the indentations so they can hold lots of delicious lemon curd!
- Once cool, use a pastry bag for even filling with lemon curd. Or a small spoon works too. (I like to use a baby spoon.)
- Easily make the cookie shells ahead and freeze. Right before you need them, fill with lemon curd. Yum!
Here’s a buttery shortbread Lemon Curd Easy Thumbprint Cookie Recipe for cheerful springtime baking!
Buttery shortbread cookies nest dollops of delicious puckery sweet and tangy lemon curd.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Lemon Curd, or store-bought
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two half-sheet-pan baking sheets with parchment or nonstick liners.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with mixer until well blended.
- Beat in yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt.
- Beat in flour just until moist clumps form. Gather dough together in bowl to bind.
- Shape scant tablespoons of dough into 1-inch balls.
- Place balls on prepared sheets, spacing them 1 inch apart.
- Using a floured finger or something that will give a good round shape (I used the back of a small pestle), make a deep indentation in center of each ball.
- Bake cookies until firm and lightly golden on bottom, about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven and immediately fill indentations with curd.
- Return to oven and bake 2 minutes longer to set curd.
- Bake remaining cookies. Lightly dust edges with confectioners’ sugar before serving.
- Serve. Enjoy!